Welcome to Oxford International Language School (Oxford ILS). We are here to offer you an enjoyable experience in learning English. Our philosophy is to deliver high quality courses at a fast pace and at an affordable price.
With so many English language schools all over the world, it can be difficult to choose one. At Oxford ILS we believe that the fastest and most effective way to learn a language is to learn it in a country in where it is spoken. That is why we are located in Oxford, which is known for its quality of education .
We have years of experience in assisting our students to learn and improve their English language skills.
- A wide range of English courses
Choose from General English classes, Exam preparation classes, Junior Summer School, Private tuition
With no more than 10 students in a class, teachers can focus on individual learning styles, objectives and needs.
Stay with a local Homestay provider to extend your learning experience outside of the School hours.
We are based in an ethical building with modern facilities including bright, spacious classrooms, free wi-fi, a kitchen, garden and a library.
- Outstanding customer service
We are here to offer help and support to make your stay enjoyable.
The School aims to meet your individual needs and learning requirements. Helping you succeed in your objectives is our commitment to you.
- JOIN ANY MONDAY!
- Small class sizes, max. 10 people
- Minimum age for adult courses - 16 years old
- Junior Summer School for students aged 13 -17
- Course content matches your goals and objectives
- Full-time, Part-time, daytime, evening, and Saturday classes
- Exam preparation
- Group or 1-2-1 classes
- FREE English level assessment for part-time students
- Central Oxford location
- Competitive prices
- Regular progress reports
- A friendly and relaxed atmosphere
Our classrooms can accommodate from two to twenty students per room. They are bright, spacious, with large desks, comfortable seating, and with audio visual equipment. With a maximum of ten students in one class, you have plenty of room to spread out and take in the relaxing atmosphere, and make the most of your learning experience. So you will not feel like you have been squeezed into a small room.
We have a kitchen area where coffee, tea and water are available to students, plus we have a spacious relaxing lounge and a garden/terrace where students can relax during their breaks.
To complement the learning experience outside of the classroom hours, the library is available to our students. With a range of books, (Graded Readers, fiction and non-fiction) study materials, newspapers, magazines and DVDs, there is something for everyone to choose from.
All classrooms have Wi-Fi facilities. Students can log into the School’s network using their personal laptops, tablets or smart phones.
The popular choice of most students is Homestay. Students stay with a local English speaking family in Oxford and will typically have a single room, with a study desk. Twin rooms, double rooms or rooms with en-suite facilities are available by special request.
The Homestay option includes:
- Breakfast and an evening meal on weekdays
- Breakfast, a light lunch and an evening meal on weekends
- Laundry facilities
- Internet (Wifi/LAN), however, students must bring their own equipment, e.g. laptop, tablet, mobile phone
The bus journey between the Homestay provider and the School takes between 10 to 30 minutes.
We carefully select our Homestay providers and we ensure that they meet our requirements, especially:
- They are welcoming and happy to host our students
- They offer a clean and comfortable home
- They speak English to native standard
- They follow our Safeguarding Policy (for junior students)
Staying in a Homestay extends the learning experience after the School closes. However, it is important that you tell us about your preferences and requirements (e.g. special diet, living with pets, allergies, etc.) so that we can accommodate you with the right host.
The School does not provide the following accommodation options:
- Bed and Breakfast
- Flats/Apartments and Bed-sits
We are happy to give adult students advice on these types of accommodation, however, the School is not responsible for any bookings made by the student.
We are here to offer our young learners a truly international experience of living, learning and enjoying activities together. If you want to improve your English and have a memorable experience in the beautiful city of Oxford, then this programme is for you!
About the Programme
Oxford ILS Junior Summer School is a programme for teenagers aged between 13 and 17 years old.
Why choose us?
- Small groups - with no more than 10 students in the class we can focus the content of the lessons around the students' interests and needs. We can also closely monitor their progress.
- Central location - located in a quiet residential area right in the city centre of Oxford, the Centre offers fully refurbished, modern, light and spacious classrooms. There are many colleges, shops, supermarkets, parks and cafes within a walking distance.
- International mix of students - we welcome students from around the world. Students study together, have fun and learn from each other. It's a truly multinational environment.
- Course options - with three junior courses available throughout the summer, everybody can choose something for themselves.
- Real British culture experience - by placing students with local homestay providers, students can experience what it is like to live in Britain, British customs and traditions and, of course, practise their English!
The JS Full Programme includes:
- 15 taught hours of English lessons per week
- Class size - maximum 10 students
- City centre location
- Homestay accommodation
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) every day
- Cultural and recreational programme 6 days a week
- Supervision and support by Oxford ILS staff
- Full-day excursion on Saturdays
- Bus passes for the duration of the programme
- Transport to homestays after evening activities
- All study materials, attendance certificate and a student report
- 24 hour emergency contact number
- Lots of fun and a great experience!
By following a curriculum suitable for young learners, lessons are designed to keep the students motivated and interested. They are stimulating, task-based, fun and challenging. Examples include: individual and group projects, reading and writing tasks, grammar and vocabulary games, interactive quizzes, workshops, songs, and much more.
Each student will be assessed on the first day of School, and then placed in a class with other students of a similar level of English. We have the following levels available:
- A1 - Elementary
- A2 - Pre-intermediate
- B1 - Intermediate
- B2 - Upper-intermediate
- C1 - Advanced
Each student will receive an Attendance Certificate at the end of the course.
Accommodation for juniors
Our Homestay providers are selected to a high standard and regularly inspected by our Accommodation Team. They are welcoming, friendly and happy to host our students. They are DBS checked and trained to a level appropriate to their safeguarding responsibilities. Staying with a Homestay provider extends the learning experience after the School closes, as students will learn about living in Britain and British culture.
The homestay option includes:
Single or twin furnished room
Half-board on weekdays (breakfast and dinner)
Full-board at weekends (breakfast, packed lunch and dinner)
The bus journey between the homestay provider and School takes between 10 to 30 minutes.
Located in the city centre of Oxford, the fully-refurbished Jewish Centre, where the lessons will take place, offers modern, light and spacious classrooms. There is a recreational room on the ground floor, a kitchen and a patio where the students can relax during their breaks. The secure entry into the building ensures that students are safe while on the School's premises.
Oxford colleges, shops, supermarkets, parks and cafes are within a walking distance.
We place a great importance in pastoral care to ensure our young students are safe, comfortable and cared for. We have a comprehensive welfare policies and procedures, and dedicated staff that is DBS checked and safeguarding trained.
Our supervising ratio during the lessons and activities is at least 1 adult per 12 students. We also have a dedicated member of staff responsible for the safety and welfare of under 18 year old students.
Our students follow a curfew time and must be back at their homestay by 19:30. Students are not allowed to go out after dinner without their homestay provider's supervision, except when travelling to an evening activity organized by Oxford ILS.
Arrival - groups
To ensure a smooth transition from Oxford arrival to accommodation placement, groups of 12 or more arriving at an Oxford meeting point are greeted by a staff member of Oxford ILS. Students are then met and collected by their homestay host.
Arrival - individual students
To ensure safety of our youngest pupils, students aged 13 to 15 years old must be collected from and dropped-off at the airport by an adult, whether by an Oxford ILS representative or a local guardian. The School can arrange a taxi or Meet & Greet service at the chosen airport.
We recommend that all students under the age of 18 are met at the airport by an adult.
On the first day at School students receive a tour around the Centre, a welcome pack and an induction to include: information about the School, Oxford, welfare, safety and emergency procedures. Students will be given details of who to speak to if they need help or support and they will also receive an ID with a 24-hour emergency number.
You will have an assessment test first. After that you will receive a Welcome Pack and will have an induction on rules, health and safety. You will also receive other relevant information about the School and staying in Oxford. Then you will be introduced to your teacher and will start your class.