Established in 1976, Lewis School of English welcomes students from over 50 countries every year, and looks forward to welcoming you too.
We’re lucky enough to be right in the centre of Southampton, next to a university and opposite a beautiful park. We are based in four 18th-century buildings with garden patios at the back and a friendly atmosphere throughout! Let’s give you a tour.
- 16 classrooms
- Study centre & computer room
- Coffee room with mini kitchen
- Prayer room
- Garden with table tennis
- Free Wi-Fi
Classrooms & Self-Study
We have 16 classrooms, and most have either a projector or screen with computer + Apple TV. After class, if you’d like to do more study, we have a Study Centre with a mini library and 12 computers located in two rooms.
At the back of the school there are garden patios where you can relax in the sunshine or play table tennis. In warmer weather we also hold barbecue parties there.
Indoors, we have a coffee room and mini-kitchen where you can buy snacks and hot or cold drinks, or use the microwave. On colder days it’s the heart of the school!
You will also find a prayer room in a quiet area of the school, and throughout the building there is a free Wi-Fi connection.
Our approach to teaching and learning is at the heart of our success as a school, and your success as a language learner. We’d like to tell you about what makes us different and special.
Our motto is ‘Let your English come to life’. But what do we mean by that? In short, we aim to make your learning enjoyable, challenging and rewarding, addressing your individual needs and developing your confidence in communicating in the English-speaking world. Here’s how we make that happen.
- We learn about you
- Classes are small
- You can have personal tutorials
- We’re always happy to help!
From the first day you arrive at the school, we learn about you – your reasons for learning English, what you think are your strengths and weaknesses, and your personal aims for the course. We do this during a short interview that happens at the same time as your placement test, and we pass this information on to your teachers.
Classes are small – the maximum number of students is 13 for IELTS and 12 for all other courses. This means you will receive a lot of individual attention. Your teachers will discuss your progress every week, and if you follow a General English course, you will be able to move to a higher level when you and your teachers feel you are ready.
From time to time, you will also have a one-to-one tutorial with our staff so you can discuss your progress. We can also arrange a tutorial at any time if you are having any problems or do not feel happy with your learning.
Last but not least, we are a friendly group of teachers and are always happy to answer any questions you may have about learning English and living in the UK. So don’t be shy – we’re always happy to help you!
- Qualified teachers
- Creative teaching style
- Communicative and interactive lessons
- You develop your soft skills
A team of qualified teachers, we love our work and we believe this shows in our teaching.
Classes are energetic, interactive and communicative – English is, after all, a practical subject! Topics are motivating and prepare you for communication in the real English-speaking world around you, building your confidence. Lessons have clear objectives that link to the syllabus, giving you a strong sense of progress.
You’ll find our teaching is very creative. We use a wide range of resources in order to engage you, such as authentic texts and audio/video from the Internet; and a wide range of classroom activities, such as role plays, discussions, fun challenges, storytelling, pair work and group work. As well as developing language, many lessons are also designed to develop your soft skills, such as debating, study techniques and giving a presentation. All this is aimed at creating memorable moments that aid your learning and help you achieve your potential.
Our teachers never stop learning, too. We have a very active programme of continuous professional development (CPD), and enjoy sharing teaching ideas with each other in the staff room. We’re always looking for new ways to engage and inspire you!
- Warm, friendly & multicultural
- Many opportunities for self-study
- Linking learning with leisure
- Southampton: a student city!
It’s not just about lessons! We believe the school environment and opportunities to practise English outside the classroom make a big difference to your learning.
Many students tell us they love our school’s friendly, multicultural environment, and that this provides them with the chance to learn not only English, but also about the world and about themselves. See our nationality mix here.
Social activities also provide an ideal opportunity to practise English and learn about the local culture, but we like to go further… we’ve created vocabulary sheets for our trips, so you have the chance to develop your language as you discover the UK. Our teachers also run weekly Study Clubs to help you improve your conversation skills, grammar and more. These link to the activities programme and are free to attend.
There are also many opportunities for self-study, from our online syllabus (for General English) to our Study Centre, where you’ll find a mini library, photocopiable materials and progress tests. And finally, we’re very lucky to be next to Southampton Solent University. We co-operate in a number of ways and our students can use certain facilities like their restaurant and library. If you’re an IELTS student, this is a useful way to get to know a UK university environment.
So, whatever your learning aims, our school provides an excellent environment for your English to grow.
- 5 beautiful parks (one is opposite us!)
- 100s of shops, restaurants and cafes in the city centre (2-minute walk)
- 1 university next to us!
Our school has a very convenient location.
In just two minutes you can walk to the main street in the city centre, with a wide variety of shops, cafes and restaurants, as well as bus stops to our homestay accommodation. The fabulous WestQuay shopping centre is just 5 minutes away, and the train station and coach station are only a 10-minute walk.
We’re also opposite a beautiful park – perfect for picnics! Another popular choice for lunch is Southampton Solent University, which is next door to us.
10 Reasons to Choose Our School:
- Over 40 years' experience - We’re a well-established school with a reputation for excellence, welcoming adult students since 1976 and juniors since 1997.
- Accreditations - a sign of quality - You can be sure of the quality of your programme thanks to our accreditation. Our achievements, including two Centre of Excellence awards, place us among the best language schools in the UK.
- Warm, friendly independent school - Students have described our school as ‘welcoming’ and ‘like a big family’ -
and we’re sure you’ll agree!
- Creative and innovative teaching - We adopt a student-centred approach to make your learning enjoyable, challenging and responsive to your individual needs. Read about more about learning at the Lewis School on both adult courses and junior programmes.
- Wide nationality mix - Every year we welcome students from over 50 different countries at our adult school and over 30 different countries across our junior centres. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to practise your English and make friends from all over the world.
- Attractive locations - With its rich history, beautiful parks and the buzz of a university city, Southampton is a great location for our adult school. For juniors, we have a choice of four summer junior centres on attractive school and university campuses, all within easy travelling distance of London.
- Vibrant activities programmes - A rich, fun-filled activities programme helps you discover the UK and have an unforgettable time with your new friends. We also link learning with leisure, so you can develop your English as you have fun! Read about our adult and junior activities.
- Our own teacher training centre - Experts in our field, we have our own training centre with courses for both new and experienced teachers. It also keeps our school buzzing with new teaching ideas!
- Specialists in English through theatre - Theatre is a fantastic medium for language development, and is a specialism of our school. Our team of performing arts professionals deliver courses to schools all around the world, as well as in our summer junior centres.
- Value for money - We have been listed as one of the best value schools in South-East England.
Your home away from home! Staying in a homestay is an ideal way to practise your English and get to know British culture. Our hosts are all personally selected and inspected by the school, offering you a comfortable and friendly base during your stay.
For more independent living we offer self-catering residential accommodation just 10 minutes’ walk from the school and close to the city centre shops. Austen House offers ultra-modern facilities in a fantastic building that opened in 2016. Choose a single en-suite room or a studio apartment.
If you’re looking for residential accommodation outside the summer, we may be able to help you.
- Private Rented Accommodation
If you are thinking about renting your own accommodation, there are some important things to consider.