The GLS German Language School in Berlin is the only language school in Germany with a 16.000 m² campus, including a historic swimming pool and the option to live on campus while learning German in Berlin. The park-like campus is a GREEN OASIS in the very center of Berlin, in übertrendy Berlin Prenzlauer Berg. GLS has been voted Star School Germany i.e. best German language school in Germany 5 times.
Learn German in Berlin with us and you´ll learn with the best: The GLS German Language School in Berlin has been honored 5 times with the Star School Germany award, i.e. as one of the best language schools in Germany. Your learning environment will be one of casual luxury: GLS owns a park-like campus with 2 boutique hotels, one of them under monument protection. GLS is a testing center for TestDaF in Berlin and guarantess high-quality German courses.
- central location in Berlin
- history & architecture
- 60 classrooms - all with smart boards or touch screens
- with garden
- open daily 7.30 AM - 3.30 PM
- breakfast, salads, warm lunch
Your second dining option on campus, apart from the cafeteria: Situated on the ground floor of the language school the restuarant serves modern German food. Open daily from 6 PM till midnight. Every MON, 8 PM: regulars´ table for old & new students.
- 50 apartments - in the garden, just behind the language school
- with fully equipped kitchen and bath
- bookable single or shared
- 72 hotel rooms - in the most spectacular house on campus - in a Berlin landmark building under monument protection
- Swimming pool
- on campus, in Hotel Oderberger
- built in 1902, under monument protection
- open several days per week
- reduced rates for GLS students
- 16.000 m² Campus - a green oasis in the very center of bustling Berlin
- Free WiFi - plus internet room with 15 computers (open 8 AM - 8 PM)
- Help desk - in the lobby, open daily from 7 AM - 9 PM. You´d like to rent a bike? Know more about after-class activities? The weekend-trips we arrange? Just come by!
- Book store - open daily from 10 AM - 4 PM. You´ll find the bookshop in the lobby of the GLS language school. On sale are postcards, literature (in English, too), Berlin books and - of course - dictionaries and grammars. All textbooks for German courses are provided by GLS, so no need to buy them
The GLS campus is a historic block of buildings in the center of Berlin. Designed in the 19th century, when Berlin´s population was growing rapidly, the block originally accommodated a high school and a public bath house (today Hotel Oderberger).
The school house was built in the 1960ies, on ruins left by bombings in World War II. The style is faintly Bauhaus, very modern, very functional.
The hotel is the most spectacular building on campus, a Berlin landmark under monument protection.
GLS bought the building in 2005. Today the 3 upper floors accommodate classrooms. On the ground floor GLS opened a restaurant, serving modern German food. It was built in 1902 as a public bath house. The baths survived WW II but were shut down in 1986 due to damages in the swimming pool. The baths dilapidated till GLS bought them in 2011 and converted them into a boutique hotel, Hotel Oderberger Berlin.
The 2 buildings, that accommodate the apartments, were built in 1867 and 1910. Historically, they were part of a public school that operated from 1867 till 2005, when the Berlin senate closed it down. The hotel rooms are in the 2 wings flanking the cathedral-like pool hall in the center. GLS converted the former classrooms into apartments for students.
The GLS German Language School is located in the historic center of Berlin, in trendy "Prenzlauer Berg": Around 1900 this district used to be a poor peoples´ habitat. After WW II Prenzlauer Berg ended up in the communist part of Berlin - with many intellectuals and artists living here. After the fall of the wall the district boomed and became the trend district in Berlin.
- Dock 11, studio for yoga and dance performances - GLS´s immediate neighbor
- Lichtblick, cinema for arthouse movies - 2 houses away
- Kulturbrauerei, a brewery turned event location, 5 minutes walking from GLS
- Eisdieler, Berlin fashion label - across the street
- Thatchers, Berlin fashion store - across the street
- Volksbühne, theater - 15 minutes walking distance
Kastanienallee 82 is the GLS address, in the center of Berlin Prenzlauer Berg. Katanienallee is nicknamed casting alley - due to frequent fashion and film shoots here. Media have described it as "Berlin´s coolest boulevard". More than 40 bars, cafes and fashion stores featuring Berlin designers are only some of the attractions you find immediately next to GLS.
Some of the main Berlin highlights are within walking distance from GLS:
- Museumsinsel: 1.5 km
- Hackescher Markt: 1 km
- Jüdisches Museum: 1.5 km
- Reichstag: 2 km
- Brandenburg Gate: 2.5 km
GLS is one of Germany´s foremost specialists for junior language programs, with 3 decades of experience. Every year GLS sends about 1800 German juniors abroad (with the GLS Schülersprachreisen), while at the same time welcoming about 1200 international juniors in Germany.
- GLS - "Star School Germany"
GLS is a key providers of junior courses in in Germany and has been honored as Star School Germany several times, i.e. as one of the best German language schools in Germany. The Star School awards are bestowed every year in London, by Study Travel Magazine, and honor the best language schools worldwide, country by country.
- summer camps in very attractive and metropolitan regions
- wide age range: from 7 to 19 years
- residential and home stay options
No matter how old you are - we have the German course that’s just right for you. If you are 18 or older, you can attend German courses for adults at the GLS German Language School in Berlin, all year round. If you are younger than 18, join our summer camps & summer schools in Germany - in Berlin or Munich.
- GLS summer camps in Berlin
Berlin is a great place to learn German! Very cosmopolitan, very relaxed and also very green, with lots of parks and lakes. Berlin has often been called Europe's capital of cool, and if you join one of our German immersion summer camps in Berlin, you'll see why. The camps combine German courses with lots of fun activities in Berlin.
Munich is a fantastic place to learn German. The Bavarian capital is one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. The GLS summer camps for kids & teens have fantastic locations - one in a Munich castle, the others in the Alp mountains just south of Munich.